An Air France flight traveling from Paris to the United States was diverted to Canada after concerns emerged that a passenger on board may have recently traveled through regions affected by the Ebola outbreak.
The incident involved Flight 378, which was flying from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport to Detroit when authorities ordered the aircraft to change course mid-flight and land in Montreal.
According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the passenger had recently visited parts of East Africa connected to the ongoing Ebola outbreak and should not have been allowed to board the flight under current U.S. travel restrictions.
Officials said the traveler was mistakenly permitted to board the aircraft in Paris.
“Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane,” Customs and Border Protection said in a statement.
Authorities added that the agency blocked the aircraft from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport and instead directed the plane to Montreal.
Flight tracking data showed the aircraft landed in Montreal around 5:15 p.m. local time. Reports said the passenger was later escorted off the plane before the flight continued onward to Detroit later in the evening.
Officials have not confirmed whether the passenger displayed any symptoms linked to Ebola. Authorities emphasized that the diversion was connected to public health travel rules rather than a confirmed medical emergency onboard.
Air France later confirmed that a passenger from the Democratic Republic of the Congo had been denied entry into the United States under the latest regulations.
The airline also said cabin crew members followed safety procedures immediately after becoming aware of the situation. According to reports from Paris, flight attendants put on protective masks during the incident.
Current U.S. regulations now limit entry for certain travelers arriving from countries affected by the Ebola outbreak. Under the updated rules, some passengers from affected nations may only enter through specific American airports with enhanced health screening systems.
The latest measures were introduced jointly by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the United States Department of Homeland Security.
The restrictions, announced on May 18, temporarily ban entry for non-U.S. citizens who recently traveled through the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, or South Sudan within the previous 21 days.
Health screenings have also been expanded for travelers arriving from affected regions.
The Ebola outbreak has raised global concern in recent weeks after the World Health Organization declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern.
Health officials continue monitoring the spread of the virus, which can cause severe illness and is transmitted through direct contact with infected bodily fluids.
The travel diversion highlights the growing impact of international health restrictions on global aviation. Airlines are facing increasing pressure to carefully review passenger travel histories as governments attempt to prevent the international spread of infectious diseases.
The incident also created concern among passengers and travelers following reports of emergency action during the flight.
Public health experts say strict travel monitoring is common during outbreaks of dangerous infectious diseases, especially when cases are reported across multiple countries.
While there was no confirmed Ebola infection on the flight, authorities acted quickly because of the potential public health risk tied to recent travel from affected areas.
The flight later completed its journey after authorities in Montreal handled the situation and removed the affected passenger from the aircraft.
Officials continue to monitor the Ebola outbreak closely as governments around the world strengthen border controls and airport screening measures to limit further spread of the virus.
